Sunday, November 12, 2006

A Bit More Mexico


My daughter is a shoe nut. Not the travelling daughter, the other one. When I was walking through the street market a block east of the Hotel Catedral in MC I couldn't help taking this picture. If she lived here, there would never be problem finding cute kid stuff...


I found it interesting that in Mexico City and Merida a whole block of shops would be devoted to one type of product. For example, I needed to buy a memory stick for my camera. Lo! and behold, there's a camera shop right across from the hotel. Well, they weren't too sure if they had the right brand so, Lo! and behold...there's another shop next door. They were very helpful, had the right memory stick, showed me how to put it into the adapter and then into the camera. Even accepted my Visa card without additional ID. Then went for a walk and Lo! and behold, there are about ten more shops, all selling cameras, film, add-ons, developing film, photocopying services and the same memory sticks for anywhere from 20% to 30% less than I paid.

So, my advice is to really not buy something from the first shop, because there is ALWAYS going to be another one next door, and next door, and, Lo! and behold...next door!

The beads? Well, if I'd had a large suitcase instead of just carry-on, it would be filled with beads from all the bead shops located about two blocks north and one block east. Fantastic!

3 comments:

rauf said...

I let my family buy me other things but not the shoes, that is something I have to buy myself.

I am not good in shopping, my sister and my niece always criticise me for having paid more for something they can get locally and a lot cheaper. I am not good at bargaining too.

Lovely pictures again Shamantra

Anonymous said...

Mom, if you saw all of these shoes why was there not a bag of shoes in your sutcase for me....?

Unknown said...

I didn't have suitcase, just a carry-on and my red bag. Also, did't know what size twerp's feet were. And knowing what a shoe nut you are, I figured he probably had enough. Besides, you can only wear on pair at a time, right...?